Re: Some background on Microsoft vs. Slashdot

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/11/2000; 4:35:34 PM
Topic:Some background on Microsoft vs. Slashdot

I find this very confusing. BOGU is what you do, not what you force someone else to do. The power of BOGU is in the doing, not in the forcing. According to the theory of BOGU, someday Don Box's company will own the high ground and Microsoft will be testifying in Washington about how unfair he is. That's just an example, but I'm sure people would have thought it just as outlandish to predict that Microsoft would be where it is today, back in 1981 or so. They weren't even the largest "independent" PC software developer until 1988 or so (Lotus was #1). BOGU is a persistence thing. Yes sir, whatever you say, we do windows, we do laundry, yes yes yes. "Whatever you say."

BTW, I read on Swaine's World today that IBM is finally telling their users to switch off OS/2.