Free idea for Dave

Author:Robert Cassidy
Posted:5/30/2000; 2:36:46 PM
Topic:Free idea for Dave

Unless he's thought of this already...

I'm working on my Manila site 2.0 and looking to promote the product more widely among my peers as the syndication feature solves a really gnarly problem for us. But one problem I see with it is the problem of hooking news syndicator with the users preferred aggregator (portal).

That is, I might be able to get www.scripting.com headlines to show up on my local customized webpage, but what if I want my local website to show up on the userland page that I frequent? I know that there is a solution to this, but what if the content I want isn't registered to userlands aggregator? The problem is that there are few portals to syndicated content (my.userland, etc.), but a lot of syndicators, and the current mechanism for hooking headlines to portal isn't very effective.

My thought was to use the same mechanism that Manila Express uses where I would subscribe to a service that knows about my headline portal. I could then push a button on the syndicator's web page (subscribe to me) and it communicates the necessary information to my service which then sends it on to my portal. It gives the user control of what goes where...

For large organizations, Manila sites could be set for every group and employees would visit their own group's page but see headlines for every other group which was relevant to them - based on their own choice (HR, other projects they participate in, etc.) With an open API, this could hook into other CMS as well.

Does such a thing currently exist? Is this a new idea?