Real-time chat

Author:Robert Cassidy
Posted:6/2/2000; 5:24:59 PM
Topic:Real-time chat

Hey all.

I'm looking to introduce a real-time chat component to my website. Something that would allow me to host a forum at pre-determined times and have people log in from wherever they may be. If possible, I'd prefer it to hook into my Manila site so that I can control my population through the same mechanisms as my normal Manila user-base.

It would need to be fully browser based (that is, no software installation, though Java is fine) and the ability to privately chat with one individual or a group would be ideal.

(I work at a public university and we have federal laws to keep in mind when disclosing information to students. It's important that I verify their identity for private conversations through an approved channel which I intend to hook into Frontier, thus the desire to tie things together)

I've seen a number of Java chat clients that fit the basic needs, but I'm not at all sure about hooking them into Frontier. Any thoughts? Anyone actually doing this?