Re: A discussion about Themes

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/6/2000; 6:13:36 AM
Topic:A discussion about Themes

Good questions.

1. Yes, Themes will work across hosting organizations.

2. I believe there's no problem with localization, in fact we were thinking about localization while it was being designed. The choice of which Themes to host is up to the Frontier system manager.

3. Themes are *not* subscribable. Once the copies are made, the cloner can make changes whenever they want to. Aside from the technical difficulty, I don't think it would work at a user interface level. Imagine the shock of coming back to your site and finding it looked very different from the last time you saw it. What if you don't like the changes? How do you revert?

On the other hand, you can apply a theme to an existing site, so if there was a new version of a Theme that you like, you can choose it and your site will look different, again.