O'Reilly Open Source Conference

Author:cameron@alphanumerica.com
Posted:6/7/2000; 6:20:06 AM
Topic:O'Reilly Open Source Conference

Dave asks:

Are running a conference to make money and achieve a modest level of cooperation within the open source community, or are you running a Web conference, to draw more people together, to provide a way for people in ever more disparate worlds to get to know each other and work productively?

I think the answer is both. Conferences like O'Reilly's Open Source Conference in July don't exist solely for monetary reasons. Nor do they exist purely for educational purposes. Rather, I think that O'Reilly recognizes the need for such a conference, sees an opportunity to help the community, strenghten their brand, and make those valuable connections with developers who will be writing the next wave of O'Reilly books on open source technologies.