Re: DaveNet: What The Web Wants

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/9/2000; 1:31:53 PM
Topic:Re: DaveNet: What The Web Wants

I agree with Clark, if there's to be a split, keeping the web apps with the web browser is a very bad idea. I said this in my piece, though not as directly as Clark did.

"Yet today it's still largely a one-browser world. I've asked this question at every speaking engagement I've had in the last two months. 'Is this a workable situation?' My opinion is that it is not. Without competition, Microsoft is unlikely to improve the browser in ways that are meaningful to Web users, developers and businesses. The court is right to be concerned that Microsoft will tie its dominance of the browser market to gain dominance in related markets, the explosive ones that are fueling so much growth. This is the question that must be addressed in the change that's coming."

I would also like to have non-Microsoft vendors of OSes that can run Windows apps. This is crucial because more and more net stuff is happening in native apps, and Windows is dominating here too.