Re: DaveNet: What The Web Wants

Author:Mark Alexander
Posted:6/8/2000; 11:04:04 AM
Topic:Re: DaveNet: What The Web Wants

Without trying to speak for anyone other than myself.

It is my feeling that the MS split is going the wrong way to prevent MS from continuing its ways of embrace and extend and extinguish.

The OS business is certainly the bread and butter business that can fund the company and allow it the room to explore other product, but the real excitement coming down the road is in the Apps business controlling Office, BackOffice, IIS and IE, etc.

The NGWS model is realy built on the Web Browser/Server connections. The OS that these tools runs on is realy unimportant. My opinion of NGWS is to allow for MS to create an MS Internet, that uses the connectivity of the Internet, but creates a set of services that can only be used by consumers using MS software on their desktops talking to MS servers providing a service on the back end. I think MS wants to have a model that not only charges for the client and server software, but also allows MS to get a cut on each and every transaction that crosses the MS Internet. I look at MS Passport as the first part to be released. Granted it is currently free for users, but I think MS will charge providers to use it to authenticate.

Open protocols like SOAP are a way for MS to allow for open protocols for the information, but still allow for it to keep the data itself private.

This judgement does not really change that and as such does nothing to prevent MS from creating its MS Internet. I think it is in MS best interest to reach a quick settlement that clearly defines a border between MSOS and MSApp and puts a large number of restrictions on MSOS and allows MSApp to be free from contraints and then run with the NGWS model in the MSApp company. I think it is in the best interest of the Web for the NGWS model to be forced to have only open public protocols and data and allow for competition between software developers and service providers including MSApps to provide the best front and back ends for those sevices.

Thanks for giving a space me to express my thoughts, Mark