terminology questions

Author:David Detlefsen
Posted:6/12/2000; 11:59:57 AM
Topic:terminology questions

I've got a few terminology questions and I thought the folks here could help me get a better understanding / definition these terms.

What is a portal?

What is the difference between a portal and an aggregation server (eg My.UserLand)?

What role does RSS play in defining a portal?

My definition of a portal would be any site where user content is customizable. So a portal to me would logically include RSS channels since channel selection seems to be the most obvious and perhaps accessible way to customize content.