Frontier's Future-DistributedNetworking?

Author:Fred Grott
Posted:6/13/2000; 6:54:34 AM
Topic:Frontier's Future-DistributedNetworking?

In my quest to solve the loading issues in design an auction website or e-commerce webiste..I stumbled upon the idea of having Frontier Servers in a distributed Network where one would route incoming requests to those servers that were free using a router.root simal to router tables and etc..Here is the full idea..

Frontier Distributed Servers

I was thinking about how would you get Frontier servers to act in a Intranet system in order to handle big sites like auctions and e-commerce websites where there is a large amount of incoming requests.

It occured to me that with some additional special toots and app suites Frontier Servers could be configured into a network of servers that constantly take a set of requests to process on the direction of a main Frontier server serving as a Router to that particular auction or e-commerce system. Let me explain..

We code a new root called router.root that has the info about all the servers on the network including, amounts of threads open, amount of threads being processed..basically all the required info to compute a routing priority value for the router to inspect..For example the value could be from 0 to 9 with zero as no threads being processed..Router would look for lowest valued server and send the request to that server.

To handle the mapping of these multiple roots into an object scheme that reflects which root should be open to handle a request a new subtable should be created in the router.root that could be called vMap. It would basically map the roots and their location and the directory relationship each root has in the website and it would also be configurable by the user..so you could map accross any type of network for any amount fo Fronteir servers that work in a distributed network.

The nice thing about this solution is thjat it doesn't currently disturb the current Frontier framework.

The only problem now is that I want to code this into Frontier but with my creditors not giving breathing room..I do not know how next to proceed.

Dave Winer, I am unsure what the next step should be..any ideas? I mean the code right now is floating in my head..at least the structure of the router.root and other code..This would be a real nice addition to the tools in Frontier..but how do I keep from starving when writing the code?

You have to admit its a real nice vision to implement, no?

Its obvious that I might have to d a partial sapmle of router.root to get the 'ball' rolling here..Comments..hmm we should have a weblog site on this..okay I get that doen toaday..