Re: Global Outliner with a bit of Finnegan's Wake

Author:Russell Lipton
Posted:6/23/2000; 10:00:08 AM
Topic:Global Outliner?

Dave, is this really a "web" or an outline-of-outlines?

I would also comment that, while outlining is restrictive, it seems to be a core human (or, at least, Western and I don't think I'd leave it at that) model for organizing information so that it can be retained and communicated easily. Not the only model, but one key model.

It also ties intimately to modes of "summarization" of knowledge and information, another key tool in the all-too-small human arsenal.

We do need tools for jumping nodes but only if we realize that this produces nearly as much cognitive dissonance as it resolves through unexpected connection-finding. And sometimes more.

This might be weird, but think of Joyce's Finnegan's Wake as an example of a node-jumping (breaking?) web. That isn't a knock, to say the least! But one wouldn't want to use Finnegan's Wake as a map within ordinary reality spaces ....

aka HeadDuffer
duffer.editthispage.com