Re: Global Outliner?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/23/2000; 9:45:27 AM
Topic:Global Outliner?

Aha!

I gotcha there.

In the design I'm working on, any node in the outline can be a reference to another outline.

When you expand it, the contents of the remote outline fills in.

BTW, this is the Webification of something we shipped in ThinkTank 2.0 on the PC in 1985 called cloning. It was also implemented in MORE 3, so if you have a Mac around, download it and try it out. It's a pretty magical feature.

Important point

While outliners present everything as a hiearchy, outliners are not limited to displaying hierarchies.

This btw, was why I shit-canned Clay Basket in 1995. We needed to loop into the Web, not try to make each website an outline. It was a five-year loop, but totally worth it.