Questioning the impact of Microsoft "vision"

Author:Russell Lipton
Posted:6/24/2000; 9:29:33 AM
Topic:Questioning the impact of Microsoft "vision"

Anytime an elephant stirs, the herd responds, of course. But I am underwhelmed so far by what I've heard - it sounds like a reasonable but entirely prosaic attempt to transition from Windows to .... uh ... Windows.

Not to say it isn't a strong (and vital given their industry weight) confirmation of important directions.

But I see this as evidence of weakness more than strength. Even by comparison with the Windows initiative, which was derivative but leading edge for the IBM-PC "world."

True, that could, I suppose, indicate that the post-(current)-Windows world will have major competition but I'm not sure even the government seriously questioned that.

Their problem is with the way the elephant stomps out fellow elephants due to its size and voracious appetite. Even if weakened somewhat, it still outweighs the other elephants by an enormous margin and it is still just as hungry. This roadmap doesn't address that, either explicitly or implicitly, so far as I can see.

I go back to something you said yesterday, Dave. Microsoft is too big to go away or collapse anyway and it's going to get bigger. Until or unless it addresses its actual wrongdoing, the government can't abandon its position. I suspect you wouldn't disagree with that.

My real question is - apart from jumping on your vision with SOAP and the XML vision of others (a WORTHY action, to be sure), do you see anything original in Microsoft's design plan as it stands?

(Disclaimer - Microsoft developers also contribute brilliant stuff to the Internet evolution all the time, tools as well as protocol support ... I'm asking here about their corporate roadmap).

aka Headduffer
duffer.editthispage.com