Language Advances

Author:Paul Snively
Posted:6/27/2000; 12:52:32 PM
Topic:Language Advances

Dave Winer: Later in the piece Rusty Harold Elliot is quoted: "If Microsoft wanted to really challenge Java, they should have gone with Python. I just don't believe it's possible for any major advances in language design to be made while restricting oneself to the mistakes Kernighan and Ritchie made 30 years ago."

This is even more true than I think Rusty realizes. There are languages that are considerably more "Internet ready" than Java or Python and less hamstrung by groupthink based on precedent. I'm thinking of <http://www.mozart-oz.org> and <http://pauillac.inria.fr/jocaml/> in particular.