Re: About.com and my.userland

Author:Clark Venable
Posted:7/11/2000; 7:37:11 PM
Topic:About.com and my.userland

I know one of the 'guides' at About.com and tried to get him to use RSS for his channel (Anesthesiology) early this year. From an e-mail:
"I do see about the RSS files and how they work... I actually looked into it last time and lobbied About.com hard about it... but they would not let me proceed at that point. Now, with these latest efforts appearing, they seem to have given me the green light to proceed."
What I tied to argue was that About.com could generate traffic by making it easy for sites to put About.com headlines on their site and feed the traffic in to About.com. For example, I administer a site for an anesthesiology department. Using the about.com anesthesiology channel, I can now have changing content on my home page and my visitors can see what about.com has to offer. (if I can ever figure out how to customize channel appearance on non-Manila sites.)

Anyway, I think About.com is serious, and I'm sure any glitch is temporary. If this works, and sites find it easy to add channels to their site no matter how they serve pages, this could be good for Userland. What I mean by that is clear documentation of the javascript (or reference to it) with explanation of how to customize size, color, number of headlines etcetera so that it's easy to put a javascript reference.

David Carter-Tod has a nice page at http://www.wc.cc.va.us/dtod/includeChannel/default.asp (I swear I look for this two weeks ago but it wasn't to be found....). To include Scripting News:

Perhaps a How To on my.userland.com so people don't have to go very far to find out how....