Re: RIAA Campaigns and Phone.com patents

Author:Bryant Durrell
Posted:7/11/2000; 11:25:07 PM
Topic:RIAA Campaigns and Phone.com patents

An interesting thing about the news.com article -- the first artist mentioned as a member of the coalition is Aimee Mann. Aimee has had several rancorous battles with record labels, and her most recent album is self-published. (She actually bought the record back from Interscope Records. See http://www.aimeemann.com/bio/index.html.)

So any desire Aimee Mann has to keep you or I from downloading MP3s of her music has nothing at all to do with major label paranoia or tyranny. She is an independent artist, who made her own decision on the issue. We may regret her decision -- sure, I wish I could pay a buck or two and get an MP3 of a live performance of one of her songs -- but do we not have to respect that decision?

If my favorite author writes a story, then decides he doesn't want to publish it, am I justified in getting my hands on a copy anyhow?