RIAA Campaigns and Phone.com patents

Author:Lawrence Lee
Posted:7/11/2000; 8:50:08 PM
Topic:RIAA Campaigns and Phone.com patents

When the Recording Industry Association of America went after the RIO MP3 player a few of their campaign techniques:

"Meanwhile, the RIAA is amassing their troops for an assault on Internet piracy, or at least it seems that way. The association is distributing letters and a petition to various artists soliciting support for the RIAA's 'Soundbyting Campaign.'

It appears they intend on shaming Internet users into submission. The letter asks artists for quotes supporting anti-Internet piracy. The artists are free to make up their own quotes, plus the letter offers up some pre-fab suggestions ranging from from catch phrases ("Stealing Music Is Wrong. Get real. Get legit"); to pleadings ("...Remember, I sing for my supper"); to threats ("The RIAA is making sure that people who break the law are held accountable")."

<http://www.mtv.com/sendme.tin?page=/news/gallery/r/riaa981019.html>

The URL for that campaign site: http://www.soundbyting.com/

That campaign was "targeted" at students at universities...

Also, I put together a small collection of articles about Phone.com's patents on my weblogs.com site.

http://tomalak.weblogs.com/2000/07/09