Re: Napster and Software

Author:Robert Cassidy

Er, how does the license get extended to my family? How far through my family? A cousin?

Or is it through the household - community property, as it were?

I think the disconnect here is that a CD is property, but the stuff on the CD is not, and does not follow the same rules.

People don't get that. They don't get that there are two entities there - the physical media, and the information that makes it interesting. The rules for each are VERY different. Most folks simply can't wrap their heads around it yet.

Copyright protection was an attempt to create an unbreakable link between the two, so that you could pick and choose the rules that allowed some protection. Of course, the laws were even more primitive in that area 10+ years ago.

I wonder what happens to electronic information in a divorce? Who gets the .mp3 collection? Do both parties? It'll be very interesting to see if our government is flexible enough to get through this...