Re: Napster and Software

Author:Paul Snively

Jacob Levy: If I own the casette tape and rip it, am I making an illegal copy? If you're saying yes to that then we disagree.

Interestingly, Hilary Rosen, RIAA president, couldn't tell Senator Orrin Hatch, himself a published composer and prime mover behind the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, whether it was "fair use" to rip a CD one had purchased and play the copy in the CD-owner's wife's car. Hatch, having authored the law in question, clarified that it is, in fact, "fair use."

So regardless of what Ken believes ;-) if you own the casette and rip it for your use or that of someone else in your family, it's perfectly legal.