Re: fallacies

Author:Samuel Reynolds

Actually, I digitize the LPs a side at a time using UltraRecorder, split each ~200MB file into the separate tracks (~30MB each) using Amadeus, and burn a CD of these raw track recordings that matches the original LP. (Some of them, having been played only a few times, have *very* little surface noise.) I can simply pop this CD into the player, and I'm set. Or I can (and, in some cases, plan to) try some tricks to minimize the surface noise, and burn another CD.

Then I can MP3 the files at 384kbsp (to 4-5MB each) for on-line storage or large-selection CDs--150 or so per 700MB CD, as compared with 8-12 per (approx. 400MB equivalent) LP. A few of those plus an MP3-capable CD jukebox, and (re)loading will be a thing of the past!

That's the plan, at least. I have only transcribed about 15 LPs so far out of about 250, and most of those are Scottish dance LPs (since I have an immediate need for them).

I may look into Shorten. But those large selection CDs.... Thanks.

- Sam