Re: NewsML Syndication for Weblogs?

Author:Jeremy Bowers
Posted:7/17/2000; 10:29:24 AM
Topic:NewsML Syndication for Weblogs?

You have to dig pretty hard for any concrete facts, but I did find the DTD for the proposed XML format at http://www.iptc.org/NewsML/NewsML%20v1.0%20Beta.dtd. It has a lot of explanatory text, it's not just a pure XML DTD.

Some interesting highlights:

As specced, the format is quite complicated and I'd be surprised to see anyone outside of the full-fledged news services to use it to its fullest. There's a lot of meta-data they're preparing to keep track of, too, such as seperate listings of countries and people reference in the news, making easy For More Information links possible (for instance).