Re: scriptingNews outline for 7/18/2000

Author:Robert Cassidy

It was almost certainly the lawyers based on how the site came back up without pics.

Apple is going to the ISPs now. There's no basis for it to work except for the fact that when Apple's Legal Jedi Masters present cease-and-desist to some 19 year-old geek watching the monitors at the ISP, the first executive decision is to shut them down and have the lawyers figure it out later. Certainly it's cheaper for the ISP to give MacNN a week of hosting credit than to fight with a $15B company. When you only want content removed for a few hours, it's probably a very effective tactic. It's slimy, but it works...

And Murphy is getting them. Apple has created such a market for insider information that the rumor sites work even harder to get it now. They'll never be able to contain this stuff to their satisfaction...

It's an interesting problem though. Apple is a bully, and we Mac users are tough. Very often we need to fight for every purchase, justify our decisions 10x over, etc. It's tiring, we can get very defensive, very personal. It's hard being a minority. It's a silly minority, but in the computing world it's still a minority. Apple has these problems for these very reasons.

Mac users constantly need to look for more ammunition. More reasons why not to buy a PC. More reasons why not to use Windows. Not our reasons, but reasons that pointy-haired people understand. Megahertz per dollar and crap like that, which usually don't really matter. But that ammunition ONLY comes from Apple. So Mac people end up being like a lot of Linux folks, constantly under the microscope and even some Windows users who are hoping that MS will solve that problem that they boss is screaming about.