Re: Open Source -- a world onto itself

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/20/2000; 9:35:11 AM
Topic:Open Source -- a world onto itself

Paul, it's a flawed argument, only if you interpret the statement the way you did, which is reasonable, but not the way I intended it.

By user I mean, in the old (crude, sexist, ageist) Apple way of talking about users, "mom".

Someone who clicks on things they should know better than to click on. Someone who prefers fewer features and to have them organized better. Not people who run websites, but people who design them.

I'm unconvinced by the rest of your story. You could be right. But I don't think so.

Peace brother, at least you're here and you're not running away or flaming, and for that I am thankful.

PS: I agree with much of the rest of what you said about Napster, in the same way that the Web lived on after Netscape collapsed. It's bigger than Napster, Inc. That's cool. I'm also finding the Napster people listen better than any future-smoking-hulk has. There's a sharpness over there, a grace, that I've not seen before in this industry.