Tim O'Reilly's mention of Dave

Author:John Callender
Posted:7/21/2000; 10:14:47 AM
Topic:Tim O'Reilly's mention of Dave

I don't know if anyone brought this up yet, but at a BOF session on Wednesday night at the Open Source Conference Tim O'Reilly specifically mentioned Dave Winer, crediting Dave with using the term "flow" to describe the sort of vendor-customer activity that many companies trying to launch Open Source-related businesses want to try to put into motion. (I'm probably mischaracterizing it, but that was my interpretation of how he used the term.) Besides Tim, the discussion included as participants Andy Hertfeld of Eazel, Paul Everitt of Digital Creations (the Zope people), Brian Behlendorf of Apache and Collab.net, Dick Hardt of Activestate, and some guy from Sun (whose name I didn't get, unfortunately) who is active in the Star Office and Mozilla development efforts. There was lots of discussion of opening code while shifting to a services-based model, as well as technologies like SOAP, XML-RPC, RSS, Napster, and .NET.

I personally found the whole thing very interesting. Tim's mention of Dave was pretty brief, but (to my mind) quite respectful, especially given some of the zingers that Dave has been throwing his way lately. Tim sounds as if he's following Dave's writings pretty closely, and seems to think that he (Dave) is close to the center of changes that he (Tim) believes are going to completely revolutionize the software industry over the next few years.

Anyway, just wanted to pass that along.