Re: A perspective shift

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/21/2000; 3:18:38 PM
Topic:Open Source -- a world onto itself

That's something of a hair-split, imho. My own feeling is that as an operating system can't be useful without one or two good apps, a web server that can't make it easy for an end-user to create and edit a website is less useful than one that can. The Mac pioneered this afaik, with MacPaint and MacWrite, but that's hardly an innovation, given that the line was crossed 16 years ago.

Apache isn't the only one that ships this way, same is true of IIS and last time I checked, WebStar. The real groundbreaker in this area, in philosophy, is the Qube, which doesn't get nearly as much credit as it deserves. It inspired us to do Manila. So there you go -- they get some credit!