playlist statistics (and other questions)

Author:David Brown

Observation. I like to start my mornings with female vocalists singing about love. But as the morning goes on, I like to listen to black male vocalists. Isaac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield, Jimmy Cliff, BB King, Gil Scott-Heron. They mostly aren't singing about love (or maybe it's love of self). It's still great stuff.

Did this observation come about because Radio UserLand keeps playlist statistics?

Will the uploaded playlists contribute to a music recommendation service? (I see it happening like this -- you hit the recommendation key, and based on the playlists you've uploaded and what other people have uploaded you send back a list of songs from people with similar artists and songs on their playlists)

I suspect, however, that I'm behind the curve on this, and that you've already thought about all of this.

It would be cool to have a "Play a song I might like" feature that does the music recommendation, finds the song on Napster (or Gnutella, or whatever), downloads and starts playing it. If you don't like it, you hit some key, and it is deleted. If you like it, you hit some other key, and it tells you what album it came from, and perhaps redirects a browser to the proper page at CDNow, or some other music purchasing service.

Seems to me that this would allow you to pay the artist. Of course, it may not be the granularity you want (buying a CD, rather than just a song), and the end result may not be the format you want (you'll have to rip the CD to get the MP3s), but it seems to solve a problem with existing tech.

All via the chewy goodness of XML-RPC.

dave