Some more radio ideas

Author:Brad Neuberg
Posted:7/26/2000; 12:50:03 PM
Topic:Some more radio ideas

The music programs we use to create jukeboxes, such as RealJukebox and MusicMatch, should make it automatically possible to expose these playlists onto the Internet as pre-created radio stations. Then everyone can automatically create radio stations based on the things they love, without any extra work! A 'jukebox tuner' program could be available that finds these playlists in the decentralized 'Jukebox space'. The playlists could just be links to the actual songs stored elsewhere (as Radio UserLand does; great name Dave!), or they could be the actual songs themselves.

Here's another fun idea. I'm a big believer in the power of autolinking, which is something I first saw on a WikiWiki. Basicly, WikiWiki automatically hyperlinks certain formatted words to web pages that have the same name. What if we did this for music? What if whenever I mentioned Prince or Groove Armada, for example, somehow their names were automagically linked to a decentralized database that had their music available, maybe even somewhere in the Napster 'cloud'. This autolinking could be done on the client side; if the client sees Prince, it could do the autolinking. The link could actually be a 'search request' into Napster, which I think is something that Mozilla actually does with smart links that are in fact search engine queries.

Thanks, Brad GNUberg

Tinker.EditThisPage.Com - It's time to play! It's all about tinkering, baby, yeah!