A way to create something like Passport, without the problem

Author:Brad Neuberg
Posted:7/27/2000; 3:02:02 PM
Topic:Microsoft Passport -- not Kansas anymore..

Screw the way Passport wants to do things; the real way is to store all of the information on the user's PC as a tiny server, and have network services ask your permission to get information. I have been sketching out a design the last couple of days that does this. Sitting on a user's personal computer will be a user profile server, where all of the user's passwords, account information, and profile information will be stored. This information will be accessible through a CORBA interface (I'll be building it in Java so it will be accessed through RMI-IIOP for me). Every time a network service out on the network (what we think of as web sites today) wants to log you in, get personal information, get your credit card information, etc., they will have to access your personal server, which will pop-up a dialog asking you if you want to give this network service the information they are requesting. This means there won't be any centralized server's out there holding your information; you will hold your own information!

Thanks, Brad GNUberg

Tinker.EditThisPage.Com It's time to play! It's all about tinkering, baby, yeah!