Re: More than just radio

Author:Jorge Arango
Posted:7/28/2000; 11:49:44 AM
Topic:More than just radio

Most companies are glad to fork over the dough for well-written, featureful applications that help them solve problems. (Hell, some companies are glad to flush money down the toilet for crappy, half-baked apps coated with hype!)

I agree with Dave that Open Source has damaged the economics of this industry. It's pretty exciting to be working at a time when so much new territory is being explored.

That said, I think we should examine the following statement from Dave's previous post on this topic:

Now perhaps we can rebuild it, based on reality.

Reality is, at best, a subjective term. I'm sure that our perception of reality is very different from that held by the RIAA. As a matter of fact, our differences with the RIAA stem from differences in our definitions of "reality".

When "we" (I assume that Dave is including the RIAA in the group that will be doing the rebuilding, thus the motivation for the buycott) start this process of rebuilding, we will have to come up with a common paradigm in which to put things in perspective. We will have to agree on what reality is and is not.

Reality, in my mind, includes embracing change and (r)evolution for the sake of the advancement of humankind. This seems counter to the view of reality espoused by the RIAA and other entities of the "old guard".

They are stunting progress.