Re: Killer idea for the music industry

Author:Dennis Peterson
Posted:8/5/2000; 9:43:10 PM
Topic:Killer idea for the music industry

There is another problem which is similar: if you are using PGP, how do I know that the public encryption key I have for you is actually yours? What is to keep some hacker from substituting his own key, so he can read the messages I send you? The answer, of course, is that people digitally sign each other's public keys, vouching for their identity. You could do the same with id3 info. You could have public key servers for musicians, where you search for the musician's name and get a public key, and you can check to see who has validated that key. Then you can check the musician's digital signature on the id3.