Killer idea for the music industry

Author:Cameron Smith
Posted:8/5/2000; 7:00:54 AM
Topic:Killer idea for the music industry

From yesterday's Scripting News: Business model: I want to pay for every song on that list. In return I get a beautiful professionally done, quality-assured scan of the song and I agree not to redistribute it. Sign the statement digitally.

The whole idea behind Napster, freenet, et al, is the free distribution of information. By saying "I agree not to redistribute it", you're still thinking in the old boxes.

With ID3 -- a format extension that should be applied to viedo and text files as well as MP3s -- payment information can be included in the files. There's no reason not to redistribute; those downstream of you -- those who get the file from you or from someone who got it from you, or... -- can view the payment information and make their own decision, honourable or not, about paying for the information they've received.

"I agree not to redistribute it. Sign the statement digitally." That's too complicated and it restricts the flow of information. The system has to be dead simple and it cannot restrict the flow of information.