I knew that was coming!

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/7/2000; 8:15:48 AM
Topic:Line Extension

I could see it coming miles away. ";->"

First, if you want to be my friend, don't tell me to write a DaveNet about anything. Even suggesting it is not a good idea either. It's my personal column, and I jealously guard it, I quit Wired over that issue, so..

Now, I haven't written about Radio UserLand in DaveNet yet, because it isn't ready for them yet. It will be soon, I hope, but not yet.

But how does it fit in? Well, the name of the company is UserLand. We make website software because that's the best way to empower users. We're in the route-around business.

Well, music is another media type. A very important one. People thought we were crazy when we went to the Web in 1996. But it was the right move. This is the right move too.

As to how music and writing connect, please allow me a little secrecy. For a couple of reasons. First, the thoughts are still in development, and the software will follow quickly after the thoughts are baked. The other reason is that we're in a competitive space, and I'd like to have a chance to be first to ship my ideas. But writing and music are very connected. Spend a half-hour on Google to get an idea about that.

I will say this. The change that's happening now is so fundamental, we'll look back on the years before 2000 as being a mere warmup act for what's to come. The Silent Web. Look at how music transformed the movies. Reading with music? Ohhhh yeah! A big deal.