Re: Line Extension

Author:Russell Lipton
Posted:8/7/2000; 8:08:01 AM
Topic:Line Extension

OK, figured you meant that.

To me, one of the core strengths of Userland is your intense design and marketing focus.

While I can see that Radio Userland fits, I, unlike casual folks, have also been paying extreme attention to Frontier over the past three months.

To the casual user/netizen, couldn't Radio Userland feel like line extension? Indeed, haven't a few long-timers even asked this question?

Anyway, I'm suggesting that one or two DaveNets that place this squarely in the ongoing development trajectory, supplying some technical detail and looking backward (history) as well as forward (vision), might be a real help.

To give one specific, while music is killer and there is always good reason for Userland to release a cool Frontier app layer (a la Manila) for the music world, how do the new features/design/structure map to the long-time Userland vision of reading-writing the Web? How can developers take the new structure and generalize for use on other Web data and/or application types (that is, what do you foresee and/or hope for)?

I'm certainly not trying to tell you to do something. This is just a sincere request from a user who agrees with you about the perils of line extension - not only real line extension but perceived.

If not a DaveNet, just some discussion would be helpful ;-) .....

aka HeadDuffer
whitepaper.editthispage.com