Re: Line Extension

Author:Jan Hustak
Posted:8/8/2000; 1:16:12 AM
Topic:Line Extension

Hi Dave,

I read Ries&Trout 6 years ago and have been wondering ever since: if the book is right, how come line extensions are so commonplace ?

My conclusion: they don't necessarily "blur" the leader's position. After observing myself and others, I think people mostly react to things like the red Fanta by happily ignoring them.

This works well with Amazon. If you think of it as a bookstore, you can use it as a bookstore with little or no extra hassle.

To say, "I abandoned them because they commited the Line Extension sin" sounds like "I won't talk to you because you drink red Fanta." Line extension isn't a sin as long as it doesn't interfere with the consumer. To say, "I won't talkt to you because you make me drink red Fanta," would be different. That would be a sin. I don't feel that way at Amazon, though.