Re: Prince's Trust?

Author:Nick Sweeney

Well, they never let the colorizers into the UK ;)

But is this about empowering the artist or the listener? Because even if you say "well, they can both benefit", you have to approach this first from one side or the other. And if I judged your original message properly, your argument is that musicians have never driven the technology of distribution, so they shouldn't worry now, so long as people keep shelling out for whatever medium emerges.

Now I'd argue that there's a closer relationship between the medium and the message, which accounts for the three-minute pop single and the 45-, and now 70-minute album. The reason musicians are "artists", and not "product", is because of that engagement with their medium. Which is why I'm glad that Prince has said that it should be the artists who figure out how their work best suits the new medium, rather than those who first of all want to turn it into a financially viable replacement.