Re: Canonical Names

Author:Chaz Larson

I don't have high hopes for this

Neither do I.

For example, take something like, oh, Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride. That song appeared on its original Steppenwolf album, and since then it's been on a raft of compilations [one, two, three, four, five, and those are just the Steppenwolf collections, no "Hot Hits of the 60s!" or that sort of thing] and movie soundtracks.

Searching on the title returns 50-odd hits at CDNow. Sure, some of those are remixes [like Fatboy Slim's] and so forth, but I'd wager most of them are the one song by Steppenwolf.

Which appearance is the "canonical" one? If I rip my Star Trek First Contact soundtrack CD [where Magic Carpet Ride is track 12], is Radio Userland or some other "Canonisizer" going to rearrange or retag my file? Is the "canonical" Magic Carpet Ride:

Which appearance shows up as the "album" in the ID3 tags? Or does ID3 get redesigned to eliminate or expand on the artist-album-track arrangement? That seems really cumbersome.