Re: Canonical Names

Author:Jim Stegman

For example, take something like, oh, Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride...

A central database could have all instances saved in the correct format. When I rip Magic Carpet Ride, I get to choose from a list of possible choices:

If I pick the "wrong" one, does it really matter? Am I missing something?

It seems to me the most important thing, at least from a user's point of view, is that the correct song title and artist name is associated with the song. For example, there would be no reason for me to have ripped 5 versions of the exact same performance, if it appears on 5 different CDs. So why should I care which of the 5 it came from?