Re: Offensive Copy protection

Author:Geoff Allen
Posted:8/10/2000; 9:16:04 AM
Topic:Copy protection and music software

As long as we're on the topic of the "copy protection rebellion", I'll relate a little story from a while back. The story involves my father-in-law.

He bought a (Macintosh) game, whose name I don't remember. He bought it, shrinkwrapped, from one of the major mail-order houses. Every time you would quit the game, it put up a modal dialog box that said "To buy your own copy of [game], contact the publisher at ... "

My father-in-law's comment was that, although he had never pirated software in his life, this dialog box (and the underlying accusation of "you're a theif") made him want to give a copy of the program to everyone he knew. (He didn't, I think mostly because he wouldn't want to inflict that program on anyone else.)

Copy protection kept the dishonest customers honest, and annoyed the honest users. (And created a market for packages that would copy copy-protected software. :^) ) As a (paying) customer, I was glad to see it go.