Netscape on the Mac

Author:Zac
Posted:8/12/2000; 9:18:23 PM
Topic:Netscape on the Mac

Very good points in the MacWeek article. I've been using OE for email ever since eMailer finally started to develop serious incompatibilities with the OS. And I'd drop Netscape in a second (for numerous reasons but the primary one being XML and CSS support) if it wasn't for the fact that IE 5 causes my machine to totally lock up on occasion. Not good.

But neither is the current state of Netscape's browser. Not only on the Mac though. It almost seems like Netscape stopped giving a care about their browser a few years ago....

Which leds to the core of the article which the author doesn't seem to touch on. Netscape stopped being able to make money on their browser product. As pathetic as the current browser is I can't see that it would be in any other condition. Netscape was supposed to be run as a business and its not many companies that can go from a pay model to a free model without suffering. Obviosuly the current state of the Netscape browser is a result of that.

Maybe the author might want to complain to the DOJ instead of MacWeek.

BTW Dave when will we be able to add/view/edit/read the DG via Pike?