Re: Dave vs. the Bees

Author:Geoff Allen
Posted:8/15/2000; 8:04:05 AM
Topic:Dave vs. the Bees

I'm curious, since the yellowjackets reportedly don't sting...

I've been stung twice by yellowjackets, in northern Idaho.

Once while swimming in a lake, I went to wipe a drip of water off my back and it stung me! Oops! Not a drip of water!

The second occasion, I was moving some old cinder blocks, and it turned out some of them had become home to some yellowjackets. They didn't appreciate having their home moved, and one stung me (causing me to drop the cinder block a couple of inches from my bare toe -- almost a double dose of pain).

Fortunately, we're having a pretty mild yellowjacket year this year. Last year was terrible. Most outdoor activities became nearly impossible. They're mostly a nuisance, but they do sting if provoked, which can be inadvertant.