Dave vs. the Bees

Author:John Callender
Posted:8/13/2000; 10:42:51 AM
Topic:Dave vs. the Bees

I'm curious, since the yellowjackets reportedly don't sting, why you (Dave) feel that you need to deploy bee traps to kill them. I've encountered them before myself (on picnics, and cruises to Santa Cruz Island), and agree that they're annoying, but a big part of the annoyance is based in my fear that I'm going to be accidentally stung. Since I'm subject to a severe allergic reaction to bee stings I've tended to be fairly concerned about such accidents. But so far I've never had one with these yellowjackets.

Anyway, I'm curious what would happen if you just tried to coexist peacefully with them. In some ways that would seem more consistent with some of the other philosophical positions I've seen you take.

Like I said: Just curious.