Re: My open source dilemma

Author:Dave Winer

I was just having some fun with friends who rode the wave, and hopefully are building great careers doing open source software after they no longer are the darlings of Wall Street. The Forrester report is a sell signal for sure.

Eric, ever since I was a child, I wanted to be a commercial artist. To me, the way I define success is creating something that a lot of people love and pay for. It's weird because I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about money, except around payroll time, or the end of months and then I try to keep the time to a minimum, so it isn't the money that's driving me, but I love the idea of being commercial and making products.

I wish we could do without all the stupid trends. Certainly source code is a good thing. Being generous with source code is a good thing. But ultimately it has very little to do with the art of software.

Now everyone's psyched about P2P. Let me tell you, P2P is not what's going on. It's music.