Re: Review of Nautilus 0.1

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:8/17/2000; 2:26:24 PM
Topic:Review of Nautilus 0.1

Nick Sweeney quoted Seth Nickell:

the Nautilus architecture is in place to totally remove the necessity of a conventional filesystem for users who don't want to manipulate it. We won't drive that to the interface for 1.0, but post-1.0 almost all the underlying stuff is in place and will be tied in.

This ties into a fun bit of Macintosh history:

I read somewhere (perhaps in "Insanely Great"?) that the Macintosh had a query-based filesystem prior to the first version of the Finder. I've heard it called the "20 Questions" interface. :-)

I'm really happy to have some non-Unix developers lending a hand with Gnome. The Unix world has gotten many things right, but doesn't have a real depth of experience in building good GUIs.

Cheers,
Eric