Re: Review of Nautilus 0.1

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/17/2000; 2:47:56 PM
Topic:Review of Nautilus 0.1

I guess I'm always the contrarian.

I don't remember Andy H as being a great UI designer. This might be a case where someone is taking credit for other peoples' work.

Or it could be that my memory is faulty (it happens!) or I didn't get the info right.

But..

The two total-Andy software projects I used in the early days of the Mac had pretty braindead UIs. One was Switcher, and the other was a Finder replacement.

Switcher went somewhere, it became MultiFinder, and then was integrated in System 6 or 7.

His Finder-replacement was laughably bad.

Andy's unique contribution was that he understood the inner-workings of the Mac ROM better than anyone.

Did he have a clue how to build UIs? Not as far as I know.

Hope that's enough disclaimers, enough to at least provoke a list of beautiful UIs that Andy did, not team-mates of Andy.

(And I know and love Susan Kare's work, but she's a graphics designer, again, as far as I know. UI design is another discipline entirely.)

Maybe Bud Tribble is the UI guru?