Re: scriptingNews outline for 8/18/2000

Author:Dave Winer

Radio Userland (RU) isn't about music, it's about connecting anything to anything, anywhere on the net, in realtime, with all the viewing and authoring power of outliners. Music was just the push that got it growing.

Yes, I think that's right. A few weeks ago I said on Scripting News that music is the catalyst. It gives us something to talk about, but it's the talking that's new.

When you look at the Internet and try to figure out where it's going to add value to music, it's so in-your-face that a lot of people miss it. I did for a very brief period. But when I talk to people who have explored music on the Internet seriously they get it in an instant, they've been wondering how it's all going to happen. I'm lucky that as a music-lover I also happen to be a programmer, writer, and community leader. And I had a twelve-year investment in an object database, programming environment, HTTP server and client, and a writing tool that also is a browser.

All the possibilities you talk about are real. A couple of days ago David Luebbert connected with us, and showed us how to open Radio UserLand up to all apps running on the local operating system. Then we showed him how to run Visual Basic scripts in Frontier and Radio UserLand, so presumably he's diggin in deep right now in exactly that direction.

I also got an email from David Brown that he's figured out how we're going to layer outlineDocuments over the structure of a Manila website or a Zope webapp. To me this is the single most important uncovered aspect of Radio UserLand and is where I'm going to focus my attention next. I wanted to make sure the nodeType structure was defined and exposed before I go on another adventure, so skilled Frontier programmers can start exploring themselves. I don't want to hold anyone who "gets it" back.

Thanks for your enthusiasm Ian! It's like a homecoming in so many ways. Excellence matters. Go go go.