Is XML forever doomed?

Author:Zac
Posted:8/20/2000; 10:20:21 PM
Topic:Is XML forever doomed?

as a low-tech interchange format between applications written by programmers on all platforms, at all skill levels.

I think this is the main stumbling bloke. Writers aren't just writers sometimes they write XML code as well.

I think back to when VRML was released and the folks doing the design specs were using these souped up Sun graphics stations with broadband access, So they didn't seem to mind looking at VRML examples that were 45 MB and required an advanced processor to work with.

The rest of us did and I think that one of the reasons that VRML failed to gain any sort of acceptance was that high bar presented by the hardware and bandwidth requirements.

Complicated XML formats serve the same purpose. If only XML geeks will read and understand a format then only XML geeks will use it.

And the "only programmers need to use it" arguement that you sometimes see is not only missing the point (more people usng a format makes it more successful...look at HTML) but also inadvertently elitist. People need to be able to understand the technologies that they use.