Re: Fucking Daft

Author:Zac

If someone can get you to sell your right to profit from software by offering you membership in their mutual recognition club, you are cheap indeed.

And if someone ever conciously did that then I think they'd have to address some self esteem issues before they dealt with the issue of selling themselves cheap.

I don't think people react this way at a conscious level but it is more a part of becoming part of a community. We're all social creatures and in the net centric worlkd we live in its difficult to establsih credibility and build respect in "standard" ways so our social groups sometimes get built around writing code or building cool apps.

This isn't any more unusual than the guys who came over to help my dad build his patio or when he went and helped put up a fence at another's house.

It is, in a respect, a basic part of how we build connection amongst our peers.

Now, that doesn't mean that someone (most likely someone with an MBA) isn't going to come around and find some way to exploit this for their own benefit.

I just think we need to seperate what we're actually addressing. One is a basic way to build a community and the other is exploitation.

I agree that we should be eager to point out and expose situations where people are getting rich from exploiting this but don't mix that up with the basic sentiment itself