Programming can be fun!

Author:Ralph Hempel
Posted:8/29/2000; 7:27:56 AM
Topic:Programming can be fun!

Dave Winer wrote:

When I give away code, I want to give it away with no strings attached, for me or for anyone else. And when I put a price on software that's because I want to be paid for it. I've always done both open source and commercial software. To me it's an honor to get paid for something I create. I'm like a musical artist that way.

According to the discussions over the last few weeks, most musical artists would be surprised, not honoured to get paid :-) All that aside, I think that the preceding paragraph is the nugget of an idea that can use some discussion.

As I see it, there are really three kinds of programmers. I'll compare them with types of musicians - but only for the purposes of colorful analogy. I respect anyone that can do stuff that makes other folks happy.

  1. Programmers that learned the craft because they listened to the propaganda about high-tech careers being rewarding and interesting. These folks either slog away in little cubes at startups or end up doing little web pages- usually badly. These are the equivalent of your cruise-ship or lounge bands. Competent, but not really all there.
  2. Programmers that are really, really good. The kind of people that produce ten times more code with ten times fewer bugs and command incredible salaries and do seminars and write books. These are the rock stars. Very skillful, somewhat hyped up, usually have internal demons to wrestle with.
  3. Programmers that are skilled, have normal social lives, live in one place for more than a year, and maybe do some programming for fun. Some of them might even be in a musical jam club that meets every other Tuesday for some beers and a good time.

Ahhhh, see the overlap in group three? Programming is fun for them and they get to have normal lives. I've met so many programmers out there that just aren't happy with what they're doing. Actually, it extends to other professions too.

I happen to live in a small town in Ontario. I can do my consulting work and get paid well enough to afford a mortgage, three kids, a partner, and all the fun I can fit in. I can play music with my friends. I can even write software and give it away. If someone else turns it into a commercial success, so be it.

I guess I'll summarize with some words that my father said to me, and that sound very simple....

Life is easy, but you've got to know what you want.

Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng