Re: Mac OS X and Frontier

Author:Sam DeVore
Posted:8/31/2000; 7:39:10 PM
Topic:Mac OS X and Frontier

I think that one problem with pitching to Apple is that whole "not created here" that seems to always get emitted from them. Manila can be precieved as a competitor to WebObjects (IMHO). So the question to pitch them is what does Manila bring to the table that WO doesn't. The connection to RadioUserland is a big part of this. Lay out the features and exploit the niches that Manila fits into that others do not. Same thing with Pyra, which is cool but seems so different to me. There is a place for Manila that WebObjects just doesn't go. I would say don't compare but extend.

The hard part about selling Manila to my users (teachers) is that they have never made a web page before so the don't see the radical departure that it is from the status quo. When I show them the source of a page and say "aren't you glad you didn't have to learn this?" And they all just go "Uh huh." That is not the issue with Apple though (I would think)

To Macromedia, I think you've got to show them how it dovetails into DreamWeaver. There has got to be ways to make that pair sing a great duet. I haven't ever played with DW but from what I have read it is primed for a great trip to Manila. I would say if you can get DW and Manila talking even at a basic level the demo, would have more of the flavor of "imagine if". I look at it like the way that Frontier and BBEdit play together, what synergy. Editing string/ wp objects in BBEdit and hitting Save. and the change is made. Elegant. Dream Weaver should be able to do the same thing for templates and other Manila objects. A DW button right next to Pike or RU. This is what would make me go out the door to buy Dream Weaver. Symbiosis.

IMHO
     Sam D