Re: Oops, you missed some things!

Author:Jim Stegman
Posted:9/1/2000; 10:18:30 AM
Topic:The Lie of "IP"

What about Pokemon? It is a product, cards, games, etc. People buy it.

You're missing the point. Your premise was that people could simply copy the bits and that would satisfy them. Well, perhaps it satisfied your friend. My 10 year old son, on the other hand, has been spending every available penny on Pokemon for over a year. He doesn't care if he buys a pack that contains only cards he already has! I offered to scan the cards & print an album for him, but he wasn't interested. He wants the real thing, not a copy.

It's kind of fascinating to observe him & his friends. They all collect these cards. They go to a local comic-book store, see particular cards on display for $50, which makes them feel like millionaires, because they each have 3 or 4 of that particular card. However they would never think of actually selling a card! They hoard them like you wouldn't believe.

But again, they have absolutely no interest in a counterfeit of any kind.

To a collector, nothing substitutes for the real thing.