Re: Oops, you missed some things!

Author:Chaz Larson
Posted:9/1/2000; 11:58:40 AM
Topic:The Lie of "IP"

Au contraire, people buy effort all the time. It's that "labour" cost on your car repair bill.

This may be a purely semantic nitpick, but when I have my car serviced I'm not buying effort. I'm buying skilled labor.

I'm sure the kid next door would be happy to expend a lot of sincere effort on repairing my brakes, but I'm not interested in paying for that effort.

I know the guys down at East Hennepin Auto will provide skilled labor, which is why I take my car[s] there.

But then, just to argue with myself: The last time I needed brake work, I panicked and took my car into Tires Plus. They wanted to replace pretty near the whole front end for something approaching $300. I took the car over to EHA the next morning, and they did what actually needed to be done for under $200. I suppose in that case I am buying the effort involved in actually diagnosing the problem.